Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Great White Heron in Lake City.
From: Rex Rowan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:55:15 -0400

Virlyn Willis informed me that the northern section of Alligator Lake in
Lake City (Columbia County) has just about dried up. He'd seen a number
of shorebirds there yesterday, but without a scope he'd been unable to
identify them.

So I drove up this afternoon and found a large expanse of bare mud cut
by a narrow channel and dotted with a few small pools. There were lots
of Wood Storks (Virlyn had counted 112) and Great and Snowy Egrets.
There were also a good number of shorebirds, mostly Pectorals, with fair
numbers of Lesser Yellowlegs and Leasts, a few Killdeer, Solitaries, and
Semipalmated Sandpipers, one Spotted, and one Buff-breasted. As I stood
on the fishing dock, all these birds were to my right, and then a
Cooper's Hawk made a pass and they all flew away to my left, settling
some distance away.

As I first walked out the dock I noticed a Great Egret standing in the
mud, but a second glance took in the black on the massive yellow bill
and then the yellowish legs - it was a Great White Heron. It didn't seem
at all shy, and I got to watch from close range as it plucked an
eighteen-inch Greater Siren from the mud.

Alligator Lake has two access points on its west side, a north and a
south, and the birds are at the north end. Take US-441/41 north to Lake
City, and when 41 and 441 diverge follow 441. Ignore the first boat ramp
sign, after the high school, but turn right at the next, which is a
couple miles further on, right after the big Department of
Transportation building. (The lake is overgrown with lotus at the
eastern access, off Country Club Road, and very few water birds are
visible there.)

Rex Rowan
Gainesville