Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Re: Monk Parakeet Colony - N. Jax (how about Brooklyn?)
From: "Thomas J. Dunkerton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:23:28 EDT

In a message dated 8/24/2006 8:50:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Yesterday a non-birder colleague at work reported a
'canary colony'  on Black Hammock Island in N. Jax.
Quite curious at his descriptions, we  made a trip up
there last night and tonight. In one 100-yd stretch  of
road spanning 3 residences, we counted 12 nests - most
with multiple  chambers. 11 of these were in two
separate oak trees, the other 1 under a  transformer on
a standard streetlight pole. (We observed one other
such  nest elsewhere on the island).

About 7PM tonight we saw 7+ MONK  PARAKEETS out and
about near the nests, and heard what sounded like  many
others. Black Hammock Island is due west of Amelia
Island SP and  Big Talbot Island at the Duval/Nassau
County line, across the river (Nassau  or Amelia) from
Big Talbot. It is quite a large island and I suspect
it  has many more nests than the few that we saw.

A fairly quick Google  search did not turn up anything
on these birds in this area, so I am  curious as to the
significance of this find. Are there previous  records
of nesting Monk Parakeets this far north? Previous
Duval Co.  sightings?

I am very anxious to hear what you experts out  there
think about this, so please let me know!

If anyone would like  more information or wants
specific directions, please let me know. (I  hesitate
to just post the address since the tree with 7 of the
nests is  in someone's front yard).

We're willing to make more visits up there  and
investigate further if anyone wishes or has specific
questions (not  sure if Bill Pranty & Co. are still
studying Monk  populations).

Once we can get better photos of the nests and  birds
in non-rainy, daylight conditions I'll post them for
those  interested.

Regards,
Kevin & Marie Dailey
Little Marsh  Island
Jax, FL

Funny you should ask such a  question Kevin.  While it is certainly
noteworthy how far north they  go.  I thought you and other fellow listserv members
would at least get a  chuckle at the colony of Monk Parakeets that reside in good
ol' Brooklyn, New  York!  More specifically, on the campus of Brooklyn
College.
  You can read more on this  link:
_http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/education/miele/MonkParakeets.htm_
(http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/education/miele/MonkParakeets.htm)

  Just thought some of you  would get a kick out of it!

See you out there!

Thomas J. Dunkerton
Titusville,  Florida
_www.pbase.com/boidpikchas_ (http://www.pbase.com/boidpikchas)