ETHANOL COMES TO TALLAHASSEE

"K.S. Winans" <[log in to unmask]>

K.S. Winans

Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:31:59 -0400

text/plain

------ Forwarded Message
From: Depnews <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:17:52 -0400
To: <undisclosed-recipients:;>
Conversation: ETHANOL COMES TO TALLAHASSEE
Subject: ETHANOL COMES TO TALLAHASSEE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: KRISTY CAMPBELL

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2006
(850) 488-5394

ETHANOL COMES TO TALLAHASSEE
--Tallahassee motorists can power FlexFuel vehicles with E85-

TALLAHASSEE ? Demonstrating an ongoing commitment to diversifying
Florida?s energy, Governor Jeb Bush and Florida Department of
Environmental Protection Secretary Colleen M. Castille joined
executives from General Motors and Inland Food Stores to open the
first public E85 ethanol pump in Florida. Located in Tallahassee,
the pump is the first of 17 ethanol pumps to be installed by
Inland Food Stores in North Florida during the next eight months.

?Securing a diverse and reliable supply of energy will reduce
Florida's dependence on imported oil and ensure that a balanced
mix of fuel sources and technologies are available for years to
come,? said Governor Bush. ?The tremendous potential of ethanol to
become a major source of transportation fuel for Florida's energy
future will be spurred with greater public access to ethanol
fuelling stations.?

As part of the announcement, General Motors will promote the
availability of ethanol fuel with dealers and the thousands of
consumers with FlexFuel vehicles in the Tallahassee region. E85
FlexFuel vehicles can run on any combination of gasoline including
E85, a fuel blend of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline.
The use of E85 can contribute to energy independence by
diversifying the source of transportation fuels beyond petroleum,
and it provides positive environmental benefits in the form of
reduced greenhouse gas emissions.

?We congratulate General Motors and Inland Food Stores in the
formation of this partnership to bring renewable biofuel to
consumers at more retail locations,? said Commissioner Charles
Bronson, Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
?We?re pleased that the efforts of today?s partnership will help
provide more Florida consumers with domestically grown and
produced fuel choices like E85.?

Florida has one of the nation?s fastest growing populations,
constantly increasing the demand for power and transportation
fuel. The demand for motor vehicle transportation fuel is expected
to grow from 28 million gallons per day to more than 32 million
gallons per day with Florida depending almost exclusively on other
states and nations for supplies of oil and gasoline.

?GM already has more than two million vehicles on the road today
that are capable of using E85 ethanol fuel,? said Elizabeth
Lowery, GM vice president of environment and energy.  ?We
appreciate that Inland Food Stores is joining our efforts to make
this great fuel alternative available to people in Florida.   We
also appreciate the support of Governor Bush and the State of
Florida as we continue to promote the use of E85 ethanol and its
many benefits for the environment, the economy and consumers.?

An adequate, reliable, diverse, efficient and affordable energy
supply, coupled with a long-term commitment to energy
conservation, is vital for maintaining Florida?s growing economy
and quality of life.

?Inland is proud to offer the first retail E85 dispensers in the
State of Florida,? Mike Harrell, President and CEO of Inland Food
Stores.  ?We operate under the motto of ?Outrageous Customer
Service? and offering E85 is another way we can give our customers
the choices they deserve.  We are committed to making alternative
fuel choices like E85 easily available to the public and we are
excited to be teaming up with Governor Jeb Bush, General Motors,
and our supply partners to promote E85?s availability and to
increase consumer awareness.?

Spearheaded by Governor Bush, the 2006 Florida Energy Act takes
the first comprehensive step toward a diverse, reliable and secure
energy future by reducing regulatory barriers to expedite electric
generation capacity and providing rebates, grants and tax
incentives to drive the development of alternative fuel
technologies. The four year, $100 million plan aims to reduce
Florida?s dependence on imported oil, spur economic growth and
increase  investment in cleaner, alternative energy sources such
as solar, hydrogen and biofuels.

The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (DACS) has
also taken an aggressive approach on issues regarding the sale,
distribution, and production of alternative and renewable fuels in
the State of Florida.  DACS has changed the definition of
?petroleum fuels? legislatively, allowing for the Department to
regulate the sale and distribution of alternative fuels, such as
E85, ensuring maximum consumer protection; adopted quality and
labeling standards for such fuels into Department rule in June
2006; put forth legislation providing incentives for the
alternative and renewable fuel business sectors, and created the
Farm to Fuel Program.

About GM:
General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world?s largest automaker,
has been the global industry sales leader for 75 years. Founded in
1908, GM today employs about 327,000 people around the world. With
global headquarters in Detroit, GM manufactures its cars and
trucks in 33 countries. In 2005, 9.17 million GM cars and trucks
were sold globally under the following brands:  Buick, Cadillac,
Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, HUMMER, Opel, Pontiac, Saab,
Saturn and Vauxhall. More information on GM can be found at
www.gm.com <http://www.gm.com/> .

About Inland

Established in 1967 in Bainbridge, Georgia, Southwest Georgia Oil
Co., Inc., under the retail names Inland fuel and SunStop
convenience stores, is one of the Southeast?s top-rated
family-owned and operated convenience store chains.  The company
operates 30 convenience locations throughout Florida, Georgia, and
Alabama.  Inland prides itself on superior customer service and
cleanliness in its stores and offers its customers the latest and
greatest in convenient snacks, groceries and high quality fuels.
For more information, visit www.inland-stores.com
<http://www.sheetz.com/> .

--30--

------ End of Forwarded Message