LISTSERV Archives

PSYART Home

PSYART  September 2006, Week 3

PSYART September 2006, Week 3

FW: FW: Any Kleinians out there?

Murray Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion Group for Psychology and the Arts <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Sep 2006 08:26:56 -0400

text/plain

From:	Carol Knowles [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Subject:	Re: FW: Any Kleinians out there?

Dear Esther ,

It is a priviledge to be in the same group as you, and what I book you wrote! Having you as part of our PSYART Kleinian thread is very exciting. Your applications of Kleinian interpretation of  literature and art are preceded by a complex and thorough explanation of Kleinian concepts in the context of melancholia. Your section on phantasy in Klein dispels many of the confusions that come across in the Freud - Klein Controversies Introjection and projection are linked to melancholia and phantasy, and the relation to Freud, Ferenzi, and Abraham are explained with clarity. With that background, the melancholia side of Klein can be understook in full theoretical depth, so that when it comes to applying Klein's concepts to Magritte and Virginia Woolf (esp. the re-interpretation of the meaning of light in their works - and Magritte's broken mirror - ) show true originality.I highly recommend  Cultures of the Death Drive  as an exemplary application of psychoanalysis to literature.

Further comment on what I have written above  or further clarification, could be a good way of getting our discussion going. I am also posting in this thread some quotes most of which come from your book. NB I had to return to the library as someone else requested it, so if I have misquoted you please forgive. Hopefully these quotes my also stimulate some debate.

"Freud and Ferenczi . equated introjection with identification, using the terms synonymously. In Ferenczi's view, object love was an aspect of introjection, and not a later development stage.he claimed the identification was an attempt to bridge the gap between the self and the outer world" (Sanchez-Pardo, 2003 p34).

[Klein] represents a shifting locus of perspective: not just from Oedipal to pre-Oedipal.but from the constitution of the subject to the subject's constitution of its 'world' (Ann Scott cited in Sanchez-Pardo, 2003, p 8.).

This is Melanie Klein, another major player in the field of alternatives, read against the grain ., who fetishize the object rather than the relationship, fetishize the mother rather than the human child as signed and sign-making" (Giatri Spivak, cited in Sanchez-Pardo, 2003 p7-8).

What are we to make of biased, reifying, and even fetishizing versions in the contemporary reading and reception of Klein's work? Sanchez-Pardo, 2003 p8]

There are no easy solutions.in Klein's thinking on the complexity of the relationship between mother and child. There is no fusion but separation, no early oceanic oneness but differentiation and early processes of individuation (Sanchez-Pardo, 2003 p7)

I am also going to send in a future post some of parts of the Freud -Klein Controversy (FKC) debates for discussion, but for the moment, let's hope this above stimulates the interests of the others. It is the links that you make in your book that the anti-Kleinians keep wishing not to see, that makes the arguments of the antiKleinian " Freudians" in the FKC book so confusing and frustrating. Klein's group constantly try to rectify the misunderstanding, yet these attempts are either repressed by the "Freudians" who keep repeating the misrecognitions over and over,  which only serves to indicate their failure or psychic inability to understand Klein's work as a theoretical system, also, as the Kleinians constantly tried to stress, that the difference between the two opposed groups coincided with a difference between the works of the early Freud (stressed by the antiKleinians) and those of the late Freud (used by Klein). Of interest - in Lacan's Seminar I Book 1 the crucial importance of these late works to understanding Freud is also stressed.

What is also of interest is  that Klein's approach in these often nasty debates, shows exemplary containment. And exemplary reparation - as she herself  realized from the confusions in the FKC debates that her theoretical framework needed developing (see Miera Likierman's 2001 Melanie Klien: her work in context), which she did with great success as far as I am concerned. Yet still the same lack of recognition went on and in a sense still goes on today.

It is sad for me that my research is obstructed by the fact that my library has only one work written by Klein, and all the others by her are out of print and cannot be bought as they are not in stock in the vendors our library uses. Our libraries are willing, but the publishers are weak.  Also books by experts on her and future developments in Object Relations (Bott Spillius, Greenberg and Mitchell, amongst others) are mostly out of print so cannot be bought. What a shame for New Zealand......

Guess a Kleininan revival on Psyart will be good then?

Lets see.

Carol