FW: We'll always have Paris (Syndrome)

Murray Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion Group for Psychology and the Arts <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 30 Oct 2006 15:17:12 -0500

text/plain

	From: J. R. Raper [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
	Subject: Re: We'll always have Paris (Syndrome)

	Thomas,
	I don't know whether the following news will please or disillusion you, but it seems that many French groceries have now acquired the type of check-out machines that weigh produce for cashier and customer.  At least, I don't recall a store this trip that did not do so.  Perhaps this change goes along with accepting the Euro as currency.  Self-bagging, however, remains an awkward moment or two, especially with another customer breathing down one's neck.  It's almost as bad as having one's car stall when the light turns green.

	Regarding the new consideration, almost a warmth, I noticed from those I dealt with (so different from the post-de Gaulle decades), I suspect America's slippery footing in Iraq, along with France's decision not to back the blunders, has moved the two nations into an altered relationship, one in which the French may sense they have less for which they need to compensate (WWII, diminished language and economic standings, etc.) with superciliousness.  This to me is an exciting change, and I wait to see where it leads.

	The original article about Paris shock wasn't really a French-bashing piece in my opinion, but the situation described was so extreme, even hyperbolic, that a bit of playfulness seemed called for, esp. if it allowed mention of a possibly positive shift in French attitudes.

	Cheers,
	Jack