Skip repetitive navigational links
Next (less recent) in topic | Previous (more recent) in topic
Next (less recent) by same author | Previous (more recent) by same author

Plagiarism & Citation Conventions REVISITED

Nic Voge <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:50:58 -0700

text/plain

>>For those of you interested in the pliagarism discussion we had
>>earlier this  month, I wanted to share this interesting example of,
>>apparently, the variety of conventions for citation and different
>>ideas about what is considered pliagarism.

>>A little context first. I got the email below from Mother Jones, a
>>liberal news/investigative journalism outlet. As I was reading it,
>>I was struck by the discussion of the genesis of the New York Times
>>story they trace. In particular, I noticed that a blogger named
>>John Marshall  felt compelled to cite the work by the Mother Jones
>>journalist, while the New York Times authors did not (See the red &
>>bolded text below). Clearly, the Mother Jones folks think that the
>>New York Times "took" their work, that is, that they committed
>>plagiarism. Are there different criteria for citation in blogs than
>>print media? I would think yes, but who would of thought that,
>>apparently, they are more "lax" in the print media.

A few more interesting things to note about this. One, Mother Jones
doesn't seem all that upset about it, and, to my knowledge, this
incident of purported plagiarism at the nation's paper of record
which has had some scandals of a similar type in recent years, has
gotten no coverage. It seems not to be worthy of discussion. This
leads me to ask some questions. Is taking other people's work in
journalistic media just a non-issue? It seems to me that a
student-journalist would be held to higher  standards. If so, I think
this might give us pause to  consider why it is that in academia we
get so agitated about this issue. Are we out of step with beliefs
about intellectual property? At the very least, this  story indicates
that the conventions of citation and the criteria for plagiarism are
hardly cut and dry as they are so often portrayed.

Nic

--

Knowledge emerges only through invention and reinvention,  through
the restless, impatient, continuing, hopeful inquiry men pursue in

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
Study Strategies Program Coordinator
University of California, Berkeley
Student Learning Center
136 Cesar Chavez Student Center  #4260
Berkeley, CA 94720-4260

(510) 643-9278
http://slc.berkeley.edu

FALL 2006 OFFICE HOURS:
ED 98/198 Office Hours: T 3-4;  W 4-5
Drop-in Hours W 5-6; Th 1-3
Individual Appointments W 6:30-8; TH 6-8; F 3-4