naked-eye mooning and notes

Charles Broward <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:44:11 -0500

text/plain

Hi ATM'ers and OBSERVERS

Winter is upon us!  Last night I did a small starparty for about 50
cubscouts and their parents in Melrose.

We looked at the full Moon...I ran the power to 100 and centered on the
area below Tycho toward Clavius.  The rim of the moon showed some nifty
shapes, and hints of terrain was seen even with the flat lighting.

We also discussed several Tasco type scopes that needed work...and lower
power eyepieces!

I also include the following post from Akkana Peck on

OBshallow: not many planets up, but on Saturday afternoon, driving
home watching the moon rise over the freeway, I did some naked-eye
full moon observing (amazing how much more detail I can see with the
sky still fairly bright and my pupils contracted -- look, ma,
no astigmatism!)

All the major maria were easy, and in the highlands two very
bright patches stood out, brighter than anything else:
a very bright patch south of Fecunditatis and another one
almost as bright southwest of Nubium.

As I search through Rukl, it looks like the brighter of the two was
probably Stevinus A (Rukl calls it "a very bright crater with a ray
system") but I can't find anything near Nubium that looks like it
should have been very bright. It seemed too far west to be Tycho,
but I think the bright ejecta near Byrgius are farther west than I
remember it being. On the other hand, on a full moon photo I see a
bright spot roughly halfway between Palmieri and Lacus Excellentiae
in an area which Rukl doesn't label at all.  Perhaps that gets
unusually bright a few days before full moon.

So neither one was any of the major features I might have expected.
I'm going to have to try more naked-eye full mooning again next month,
winter weather permitting.

	...Akkana (and no, I wasn't the one driving. :-)

So,  the next time you are out,  don't dismiss the full moon!

Clear Sky!
Chuck

--
Chuck  Broward