]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

BEST-L Home

BEST-L  December 2006

BEST-L December 2006

Re: Question about Biofuels overall effects

"Harald W. Kegelmann" <[log in to unmask]>

Harald W. Kegelmann

Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:33:33 +0000

TEXT/PLAIN

Liz,

for good information on energy issues, including biofuels, go to

  http://www.energybulletin.net

and enter 'biofuels' in their search function. For more information
on biodiesel in particular, you can go to www.biodiesel.org or
www.biofuels.coop (look at the FAQ on that site).

The fundamental problem with biofuels is that we cannot grow
sufficient feedstock to displace the current consumption of petroleum
fuel. Not for this country which consumes 25 percent of all the
oil that is produced even though the US constitutes just about 5 percent
of the world population. If the rest of the world would like to
consume as much oil per capita as the US then there is not suffcient
agricultural land to produce biodiesel for even a fraction of that
consumption.

That leads us to the conclusion that the question of 'sustainability' is
not about sustaining our current standard of living and consumptive
behavior, but the question has to be 'what is sustainable' and the
answer is: about 15 percent of our current consumption of electricity
and fuel.

That has to be the premise from which we design homes, infrastructure,
transportation patterns (bike, bus, train, rather than car or truck).

We have to build integrated 'ecosystems' where any agricultural or
industrial process that consumes a lot of water has to be redesigned
to reduce consumption and integrated with another process that uses
the wastewater as input.

It cannot be that our coal plants use up as millions of gallons of
water a day, equivalent to some the water consumption of some 30,000
homes because we are too lazy to turn off our electic appliances.

It cannot be that Pepsi or Coke go over to India, build a big plant,
use the water for free, and consume for the bottling and production
process of coke so much water that the water table in the area drops
and more farmers lose their jobs than jobs were created by the plant.

We have to adopt what nature tells us and create 'netzero' production
processes. Otherwise, we will be just another society that has
reached a level that is no longer sustainable and HAS TO collapse,
as Jared Diamond dicusses in his book "Collapse: How Societies Choose to
Fail or Succeed"

  http://www.amazon.com/Collapse-Societies-Choose-Fail-Succeed/dp/0670033375

 Harry