Cellulosic ethanol around the corner?

Rob Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 24 Dec 2006 15:07:27 -0500

text/plain

I would appreciate the reactions of anyone who might care to comment on the
e-mail and the article contained with in,  below.  I would be particularly
interested in the thoughts of Dr. Lonnie Ingram if someone could forward
this to him.  Biofuels are a subject of much discussion on this and other
Sierra Club lists.
Thanks,
Rob Brinkman, Chair SSJ Sierra Club
----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Blanchard" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2006 9:59 AM
Subject: Re: [GWTF] Grist conclusion on biofuels

Is everyone sure that cellulosic ethanol is right around the corner?
The message below from a researcher in the field doesn't suggest that
is the case.

Roger
Sault Ste. Marie, MI

Published on 16 Aug 2006 by The Oil Drum. Archived on 16 Aug 2006.
Whither cellulosic ethanol?

by John Benemann and Don Augenstein

[editor's note, by Prof. Goose: This is a guest post from TLS's friend
Don Augenstein (Pomona96 on TOD)]

This post presents a perspective on ethanol from lignocellulose by my
friend and co-worker, John Benemann. We have worked on, and been
immersed in, biofuels and analyses of fuels from biomass processes for
over 3 decades. We are to substantial degrees biotechnologists, as well
as chemical engineers and have successful processes going today
(methane from wastes. You can google Don Augenstein). We have worked
long and hard on biofuels for entities including Exxon (long ago), the
Electric Power Research Institute, and others. Our carefully considered
view, for which we will be happy to provide abundant evidence is that
severe barriers remain to ethanol from lignocellulose. The barriers
look as daunting as they did 30 years ago. Ethanol from lignocellulose
may indeed come to pass. But the odds against are so dismal that a
hydrocarbon fueled 200 mile per gallon passenger automobile would be
more likely to be developed.

The following abstract is to be presented August 29th at the Conference
on Biofuels and Bioenergy: Challenges and Opportunities, Univ. British
Columbia, Vancouver, Canada (see www.task39.org).
ETHANOL FROM LIGNOCELLULOSIC BIOMASS - A TECHNO-ECONOMIC ASSESSMENT

John R. Benemann1*,Don C. Augenstein1, Don J. Wilhelm2 and Dale R.
Simbeck2

1Institute for Environmental Management, Inc. 4277 Pomona Ave., Palo
Alto, CA 94306 *Presenter and contact, jbenemann@...

2SFA Pacific, Inc, 444 Castro St., Suite 720, Mountain View, CA 94041

Proposed lignocellulosic-to-ethanol processes envision a pre-treatment
step, to liberate cellulose and hemicelluloses from lignin, followed by
a hydrolysis step, to convert the carbohydrates to simpler sugars, and
then a yeast or bacterial fermentation step, to yield ethanol, followed
by ethanol recovery (distillation, drying). Some steps might be
combined, such as in acid hydrolysis (combining pre-treatment and
saccharification) or in a simultaneous saccharification-fermentation
process. After five decades of intensive R&D, currently only a single
pilot plant (Iogen Corp. in Canada) is operating, reportedly producing
about one million liters of ethanol per year, though well below its
planned capacity (This would correspond to ~12 barrels/day of crude
oil).

An independent analysis identified many problems with the currently
proposed processes, including the relatively high costs of biomass
delivered to commercial-scale plants (which would need to be 200
million liters per year output, or greater, for economics of scale),
the problems with pretreatment, the low rates and yields of sugars from
enzymatic cellulose hydrolysis, the resulting low sugar and ethanol
concentrations, and the overall high energy consumption of the overall
process. In addition to not tolerating high ethanol concentrations,
genetically engineered organisms developed for combined hexose-pentose
fermentations are subject to contamination, which will require
prohibitively expensive containment systems.

Even ignoring, as most studies do, such major problems, and using
available corn stover and enzymatic hydrolysis, the currently favored
biomass resource and process, our techno-economic analysis estimated a
cost of ethanol twice as high as that of ethanol from corn. Forest
residues and wastes, biomass crops, and municipal wastes are even less
promising. The conclusions of this assessment are that none of the
existing processes are ready for commercial applications in any
foreseeable time frame and that continuing fundamental and applied R&D
is required. Some opportunities may exist for near-term applications of
cellulose conversion technologies to some specific, modest-scale,
agricultural wastes.