Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Q: MediDisc CD-R
From: "Ronald W. Frazier" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 3 Dec 2006 20:31:50 -0500

Hello all,

I sent Joel a personal reply to his message originally posted in the
archives list. This is a condensed version. Please forgive any cross postings.

I don't know anything about the MediDisc but I can talk about gold discs.
I'll go ahead and give the disclaimer. I'm biased. I sell the product. I'm
not biased because I sell it. I sell it because I'm biased and believe it's
a top notch solution.

Discs can fail for 5 main reasons. 1) Oxidation of the reflective surface.
2) Dye failure. 3) Bonding failure, which can cause the layers to
delaminate. 4) Scratches on the surface. and 5) Production quality
variations. Please see my website in the signature below for additional
data. See the Archival DVD's and CD's link at the top. The bottom line is
that you need protection from all 5 of these problems if you want to be
sure that your data will last as long as possible.

My personal opinion, based on my research, is that if I had a valuable
archive to protect and preserve, I would use only the discs described on my
website. I would tell you that whether I sold them or not. In fact, I do
have a valuable archive to protect, my own collection of 200 personal video
tapes. These are the discs I'm going to use to transfer them to DVD.

You can check out the manufacturer's website at:

http://www.mam-a.com/

You have to poke around the site a bit to find the right links. Here are
some you might find interesting.

http://www.mam-a.com/products/gold/index.html
http://www.mam-a.com/technology/cd/organic_dyes.html
http://www.mam-a.com/technology/technical_papers/documents/cdr_dyes.html
http://www.mam-a.com/technology/quality/longevity.htm
http://www.mam-a.com/products/gold/Gold%20CD-R%2010_10_03.pdf
http://www.mam-a.com/products/gold/standard.html
http://www.mam-a.com/products/gold/archive.html
http://www.mam-a.com/products/general_information.html
http://www.mam-a.com/technology/index.html
http://www.mam-a.com/technology/quality/index.html
http://www.mam-a.com/technology/manufacturing/index.html
http://www.mam-a.com/technology/technical_papers/documents/bonding.htm
http://www.mam-a.com/technology/technical_papers/index.html
http://www.mam-a.com/products/packaging.html

That should get you started. 8-)

Sincerely,

Ron Frazier

At 11/29/2006 09:19 AM -0600, Joel Minor wrote on the archives list:

 >Hello,

 >Does anyone have an opinion or a non-biased resource regarding the Verbatim
 >MediDisc CD-R? They were created for the medical industry and supposedly
 >have much greater burn consistency and data longevity than a regular CD-R.
 >Not long ago I ordered some gold CD-Rs for the archives and was sent these
 >instead. From what I've read about them on the web they sound like a viable
 >alternative, but maybe gold is still the undisputed gold standard.

 >Realistically, as long as I'm not using the cheapos it probably doesn't
 >matter much if one lasts 100 years and one 200, say, since CD readers will
 >be relics well before 100. But I'm interested to hear what others know about
 >these particular discs.

 >Thanks,
 >Joel

------------------------------
Ron Frazier
Recordable DVD's & CD's can fail in 2-5 years.  Don't let that happen to
YOUR data.
    Get your GOLD Archival Grade DVD's & CD's from
http://macdatasecurity.com/ today!
http://c3energy.com/ --- http://c3energy.com/alt_energy/
http://c3energy.com/computersecurity/ --- http://c3energy.com/health/
I am an independent consultant interested in exploring ways to archive data
over long periods of time.
Ron Frazier  --  P.O. Box 2284  --  Cumming, GA  30028  --  770-205-9422
(O)  --  404-431-5472 (C)
Email: rwfrazier AT macdatasecurity DOT com  (replace the AT and DOT by hand)