Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: what to say to document management naysayers
From: Chris Graves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 7 Dec 2006 08:29:58 -0500

Yesterday I was at a meeting with a document management software
vendor.  Afterward, one of my co-workers who had been present
approached me and asked, "I can't see why we need to use document
management software." I have to admit I was surprised by this as the
presentation was fairly standard (i.e. not too overly technical) and
highlighted some useful information management features.

Still, if someone can walk away from a meeting with such a fundamental
question as that on their mind, what would you tell them?

What are thet top ten reasons for spending money on good document
management software?

-fast searching (compared with slow Windows explorer)
-vsn combine the ease of Google with the familiarity of Windows
Explorer browsing (suits different searching behavior preferences)
-can potentially search across multiple databases (if you have them)
-can manage access privilege setting more easily (than in Windows, for example)

What else?

Otherwise, why would you *not* use document management software? From
my standpoint, I am baffled why we need to add such software to
computers: from where I sit, this is how computers should operate
initially anyway.

Comments welcome.

List archives at