Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Storage of tapes and other media - A Bit OT
From: Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 4 Dec 2006 08:15:48 -0600

This was started before the week-end comments to the list.  My response to
the PRISM issue is that it will give only 1 aspect of the COMPLETE
discussion that is needed- Remember who PRISM is and that they represent
the off-site vendors.  Just sending/using the PRISM material to clients
wouldn't constitute a best practice or responsible RIM.

Gerald,  Ok I'll bite

Your original question " So the question still stands, what criteria would
a RM use to select an
off-site vendor for backup tapes?"  has a pretty easy answer from my
viewpoint,if taken literally.

Answer:  I don't really care as back-ups are only used for disaster
recovery.  Whatever process or criteria is selected is fine as long as it
meets the standards set by the corporation for business continuity,DM, and
risk management.  I as a customer just want the best amount of access time
available (best case 24/7/365) and restoration as quickly as possible
after a disaster- depending on the application/system criticality as
listed in the DM process.

That being send if you're really talking about the management/protection
of media that is considered an official company record-that's different
and I should be included in the protection process/criteria.  I will limit
my response to the electronic media as that is what I think you're asking-
But I do consider paper to be a media  that needs and will continue to
need protection.  I also believe that the protection of the back-up tapes
should have the same process as the records although in many companies IT
doesn't ask.  I can only fight so many battles.

I would break the criteria into the following Categories

      I would prefer a 4 hr 125 vault rating and all requirements set
forth in NFPA 232 for my media.  This again depends on the risk your
company is willing to    take.
      Building and vault security would be different if stored in the same
location. I'm not going to detail the specifics
      Short delivery routes w/o many stops
      Locked at all times when not attended
      Constant as possible environment (more critical in certain parts of
      Object level bar-coding
      Would depend on companies business and risk assessment
      User friendly
      Compatible with companies RIM software
      Rotation review/ maintenance called out for company
      24/7/365 availability

Enough time spent on this-  Please critique and then let this thread die.
I will not respond again.

Steve Petersen CRM
Records Manager
Rockwell Collins Inc