Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Interesting Observation
From: Mimi Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:28:31 -0800

Hi Bill,

  These are the questions that keep me up at night, too.  You see, I'm a liberal arts baby with little IT background (my only excuse is I thought I was going to be an archivist).

  We're implementing Documentum here at Cheniere, and I must confess I've wantonly inflicted myself and my IT-related questions upon the IT side of our electronic records implementation team quite shamelessly.  I have no ego when it comes to asking information technology questions.  If I should be embarassed, oh well--I don't have that kind of time to dwell on it.

  If there's something I don't know that I hear in a meeting, I write it down on a notepad, with "Reference: _____" and consult Wikipedia (and related websites) until I find the answer and can piece together the 50K foot level vantage point.

  One class I found VERY HELPFUL at the beginning of my journey along this path in gaining an IT perspective was Jesse Wilkins's CDIA preparatory class.  The accompanying handbook is fantastic and a handy desk reference.

  Since IT also speaks PMP, I'm trying to gather documentation that will assist me in my application to sit for that certification as well.  Meanwhile, I'm trying to gain exposure to Java.

  Our IT group has been very kind to me and tolerated all of my questions.  I like to say we move in dog years here at Cheniere--we're a start up company, so one year for us may be seven years of progress for another entity--so I may be luckier than others, but I find if I just start asking questions then how can I go wrong?