Net neutrality and elections

John Nile Li <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 Apr 2007 17:00:58 -0400

text/plain

Florida Free Culture
< http://uf.freeculture.org/ >

We'll be having our last meeting tomorrow, Monday, April 2nd at 6:30pm.
We'll be having elections and then a talk on network neutrality by a UF
professor doing research on the issue.

We're meeting in the Reitz Union room 121 (Johnson Lounge). We'll be
having free food, so try to come out!

--Net Neutrality talk--

Professor Shubho Bandyopadhyay will be discussing his research on net
neutrality. Using game theory models, he counter-intuitively found that
broadband providers would be more likely to improve Internet service if
they were barred from charging for preferential treatment.

For more information about the research, see the story from UF's news site:
http://news.ufl.edu/2007/03/07/net-neutrality/
For more on net neutrality, see SaveTheInternet.com:
http://savetheinternet.com/

--Elections--

We'll be electing officers for the 2007-08 school year. All offices are
up for election (President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Public
Relations Director). Any student who has been to two meetings this year
is eligible to vote. Similarly, anyone who's been to two meetings this
year is eligible to run for office (assuming you're in good standing
with the university). This meeting will count toward that requirement,
so if you've been to a previous meeting this year, you’ll be eligible to
vote and/or to run for office. If you have any questions, we’ll discuss
them at the meeting.

Have a good week,
Nile
President, Florida Free Culture