]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

FFC-L Home

FFC-L  2007

FFC-L 2007

UAEM speaker, Exec meeting, OLPC at UF, SG apps due

John Nile Li <[log in to unmask]>

John Nile Li <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 8 Apr 2007 14:29:18 -0400

text/plain

Florida Free Culture
< http://uf.freeculture.org/ >

Hey all, there are a few neat free-culture-ish happenings this week.
(apologies for those on ffc-discus-l who get this twice!)

CONTENTS:
1) UAEM Speaker
2) Exec Meeting
3) SG applications due
4) OLPC demo at the Florida Electroacoustic Music Festival
5) New Florida Free Culture officers elected

(1) UAEM Speaker, Monday

Robynn Sturm, the executive director of Universities Allied for Essential
Medicines, is speaking at UF on Monday, April 9. She'll be speaking at
noon at the law school (Bruton-Geer Hall rm. 136) and at 5pm on main
campus (Reitz Union rm. 355).

(2) Exec meeting, Monday

We'll be having our last exec meeting of the year. Come by if you want
to see what we'll be planning for next semester. The meeting is on
Monday, at 6:30pm in the Reitz Union room 289, as always.

(3) SG applications due, Friday

SG applications are due Friday, April 13. Positions include Technology
Cabinet, which would be a great position for someone who wants to push
for changes in SG's tech policy. There's the cabinet director as well as
assistant director.  Applications here:
http://www.sg.ufl.edu/Applications/default.aspx

(4) OLPC demo at the Florida Electroacoustic Music Festival, Saturday

A "One Laptop Per Child" XO machine will be coming to UF this Saturday,
April 14th! Dr. Richard Boulanger will be giving a presentation on
"Bringing Csound and Computer Music to the Children of the World on the
$100 Laptop" at 12:00pm at the Center for the Performing Arts Black Box
Theater at UF.

The OLPC project is an ambitious project to equip the world's children
with a uniquely designed laptop powered by Linux and open source
software.

Info on the OLPC: http://laptop.org/
Info on the festival: http://emu.music.ufl.edu/femf/fest16prg.html

(5) New Florida Free Culture officers elected

At our last meeting, we elected the officers for the Fall 2007 semester.
The line-up now consists of:

John Nile Li, President
Jan Hendrik Grahl, Vice-President
Cain Chuck Norris, PR Director
Patrick Flanagan, Secretary
Mark Sisley, Treasurer

Congrats to our new officers and a big thanks to everyone who ran!

- --
 .''`. |       John Nile Li
: :' : |   http://deadbox.ath.cx
`. `'  | This Sig Kills Fascists!
  `-

UNSUBSCRIBE INSTRUCTIONS:
To leave this list, send an email to:
with this message in the body:
   signoff FFC-L

JOIN THE DISCUSSION:
To join the discussion list, send an email to:
with this message in the body:
   subscribe FFC-DISCUS-L