]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

GRADSTUDENT-L Home

GRADSTUDENT-L  2007

GRADSTUDENT-L 2007

Student Input Wanted for Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean Search

Gregory Orloff <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:37:36 -0400

text/plain

MEMORANDUM

Date:      15 October 2007

To:        All UF Graduate Students

From:      Dr. Pramod P. Khargonekar
           Chair
           Search Committee for College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean

RE:        Invitation to Shape the Future of CLAS!

I am writing this message on behalf of the search committee for the Dean of
the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS). We would like to invite you
to an open forum on Wednesday, 17 October 2007 at Library East in Room 1A
from 10:00 a.m. to 11 a.m., and to solicit your ideas and opinions on this
search.

We are interested in input from all CLAS stakeholders to help us as
we proceed with this important task. Please attend the open forum! We invite
your input on any issues relevant for the search committee to consider as we
move forward in obtaining the best candidate for dean of our college. We
would like to fully represent the CLAS community (faculty, staff, students,
administrators, alumni, supporters) as we set criteria for the evaluation of
candidates. For example, we value your input concerning (i) the major
scholarly and educational goals of the college for the next decade, (ii) the
major challenges to be addressed by a new dean, (iii) the most important
personal and professional qualities of a new dean, and (iv) particular
questions that you might like included in our interviews with potential
candidates.

We also strongly urge you to nominate individuals who have the potential to
be excellent candidates. For news and updates on the search including
minutes of meetings and a copy of the advertisement, go to:
http://www.aa.ufl.edu/search_committees/Dean_Liberal_Arts/. Parker Executive
Search (http://www.parkersearch.com/) has been retained to assist our
efforts in the search process. Nominations can be sent to any member of the
committee or to Parker Executive Search as described in the advertisement on
the abovementioned website.

This is a critically important search for CLAS as well as for UF. The CLAS
budget situation has improved substantially. President Machen,
http://www.president.ufl.edu/speeches/2007/10/clasConvocation.html, and
Provost Fouke have made significant new commitments to CLAS for the future.
We feel optimistic that our search will lead to the recruitment of an
outstanding new dean. We are pursuing this goal with vigor and appropriate
speed and hope you will join in our efforts.

If you are unable to attend the forum, but would like to send comments,
please email [log in to unmask]

Search committee members:

Susan Bluck
Associate Professor of Psychology

Alan Dorsey
Professor and Chair of Physics

Gail Fanucci
Assistant Professor of Chemistry

Hank Frierson
Dean of Graduate School and Professor of Educational Psychology

Vanessa Goodwin
Student Representative, major: Political Science

Fred Gregory
Professor of History

Pramod P. Khargonekar
Dean of the College of Engineering

David Leverenz
Professor of English

Joan Ruffier
Distinguished Alumna of CLAS

Chris Sapienza
Professor and Chair of Communications Sciences