LINUX-L 2007

Re: /dev/shm

Arthur Sherman <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 4 Mar 2007 23:29:44 +0200

text/plain

> > > Applications that are /dev/shm-aware usually take care of it
> > > automagically,
> > > there's nothing to configure. However, you can get better
> > > performance out
> > > of some applications by also mounting /tmp as a tmpfs filesystem.
> >
> > It is already.
> > Is there anything else I could do?
>
> If you want to take things to the next level, then make sure your
> system is satisfactorially configured, then make an image of it
> that gets loaded at boot time and run your entire system off a RAM
> disk.
>
> - --
> Daniel Franke [log in to unmask] http://www.dfranke.us

Thank you, Daniel,

This is a bit farer than I ment to go :) , but it sounds interesting.
I'll give it a try in my leisure time.

BTW, how changes, such as to mysql db or new virus defs, would be saved in
this image?
How do you create such image and load it at a boot time?
Lot of questions... :)

Best,

--
Arthur Sherman