LINUX-L 2007

Re: /dev/shm

Arthur Sherman <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 Mar 2007 14:50:11 +0200

text/plain

> Applications that are /dev/shm-aware usually take care of it
> automagically,
> there's nothing to configure. However, you can get better
> performance out
> of some applications by also mounting /tmp as a tmpfs filesystem.

However, MailScanner, which appears to be shm-aware, wasn't so as a default.
I had to mount it to shm:

[root@ns1 ~]# df -h
/dev/md1 6.0G 1.1G 4.6G 20% /
/dev/md6 99M 12M 83M 12% /boot
none 1.5G 0 1.5G 0% /dev/shm
/dev/md4 135G 2.5G 126G 2% /home
/dev/md2 1012M 40M 921M 5% /tmp
/dev/md3 4.0G 302M 3.5G 8% /var
none 1.5G 32K 1.5G 1% /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
[root@ns1 ~]# cat /etc/fstab
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/md1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/md6 /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs noexec,nosuid,rw
0 0
/dev/md4 /home ext3
defaults,usrquota,grpquota 1 2
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/md2 /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/md3 /var ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/md5 swap swap defaults 0 0
# this is from MailScanner.info MAQ:
http://www.mailscanner.info/serve/cache/120.html
none /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb /media/cdrom auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

BTW, it appears I was hasty to say I have /tmp mounted as tmpfs.
Now, I recall someone told me off, arguing it will break things, such as yum
etc.
How serious is it?
I'd really like to make as much apps work from tmpfs as possible, for
obvious performance advantage

Best,

--
Arthur Sherman