LINUX-L 2007

Re: Ubuntu 7.10

Eldo Varghese <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:15:56 -0400

text/plain

Brian Bartholomew wrote:
>> Any "must have's" from the repository that don't come with the
>> standard install? Anything to stay away from?
>
> This is what I've been telling people in my department they probably
> want to do to 7.04 after the base install finishes:
>
> http://www.stat.ufl.edu/system/ubuntu.shtml
>
>> How does the new version compare to 7.04?
>
> I'm working on that.
>
> Brian

Few criticisms about that page:
the first shell script Ubuntu-cd-updates.sh adds a few repos that are ok and a few that are not ok,
the cran.R-project.org repository I have no clue who/what org runs so I dont add it unless you trust that person/org, also you dont need acroread or R from that repository as gutsy has those two
packages available from its repos, also imho you dont actually need acroread since evince the default pdf reader is more than capable.
the other three repos you may or maynot need, canonicals commercial repository[1] only includes things like opera, vmware etc., the mediubuntu[2] repository you may want to add since that includes all
the media packages that are illegal in the US for you to use with linux.
the other script you dont need unless you want all of those packages.

Also re: scripts that install stuff, try to read through the script and just install it yourself instead of letting the script do it so that you know whats going on and what packages you just installed.

Now to answer your question:
I would say go into system->admin->software sources and make sure that the universe and multiverse repos are turned on.
then go into system->admin->synaptic and install ubuntu-restricted-extras [3] that includes all kinds of random goodies like flash, java, mp3 playback etc.

for multimedia stuff I would read through this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Multimedia
Dont be afraid to ask other questions in here or in #gatorlug or #ubuntu in irc.freenode.net [4]

- Eldo

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu#head-b75a0c6c7e357640731529980d3f3ad3614b9a76
[2] http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/index.php
[3] apt:ubuntu-restricted-extras