LINUX-L 2007

Re: Module load issues

Clay Wells <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:49:59 -0400

text/plain

> Mark Oden wrote:
>> I'm having an issue with loading a proprietary module on a machine in my
>> research lab. We have Nallatech FPGA boards which are peripherals that
>> attach to the PCI bus. In the perfect world, you just install their
>> "fuse" rpms (not the same thing as Filesystem in Userspace) and their
>> "h100" rpms and life is good. However, using rpmbuild, I patched the
>> kernel with perfctr, which broke the Nallatech drivers so I had to
>> re-install the rpms (first using rpm -e, then rpm -ivh). Unfortunately
>> on reboot (or modprobe fuse) I receive the following error:
>>
>> Fatal: Error inserting fuse
>> (/lib/modules/2.6.9-22.ELsmp/kernel/fs/fuse/fuse.ko) : Invalid module
>> format.
>>
>> if booting, I also receive:
>>
>> Cannot access /dev/fuse No such file or directory
>>
>> I highly suspect these issues are due to patching perfctr. If anyone
>> has any ideas on how to allow both perfctr and fuse to operate
>> side-by-side or need any further information please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> ~Mark Oden

some general info for you.. in the 2.6 kernel, modules compiled for one version
of the kernel cannot be inserted in another version (unlike 2.4). thus the
error message you see.

you can find more info at:
http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/Linux_Kernel_Module_Programming_Guide/x181.html

hope this helps you out.