LINUX-L 2007

Re: wireless puzzle

John Li <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 27 May 2007 15:33:10 -0400

On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 11:29:37AM -0400, Ben Bolker wrote:

[snip]
> So far, so good. Drivers get installed, OS can see the
> wireless card, when I'm in my office nm-applet actually detects
> several different wireless networks (none of which I have
> permission to log onto).

I believe Network Manager overrides or interferes with a lot of the
other tools (e.g., iwconfig and iwlist) and trying to manually configure
your wireless connection while NM is running only leads to mind-numbing
confusion and depression.

Just a stab in the dark, but have you tried stopping (or disabling, or
uninstalling) Network Manager and configuring your connection fully
manually?

In my opinion, Network Manager is still a bit alpha (for at least
some combinations of kernels, NM versions, wireless chipsets, and
firmware) ;).

Best o' luck,
john

--