LINUX-L 2007

Re: protecting /tmp

Shawn McMahon <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Jan 2007 12:56:42 -0500

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 09:39:14AM -0800, Jeff Lasman said:

> On a forum I read someone has suggested chmodding everything in /tmp as
> 0000 to protect from hackers.

Only in /tmp? Amateurs! We usually tell people something like "chmod
-R 0000 /" and that "the -R means restricted; that will make sure your
system is properly restricted".

Or from my "bad advice" script from my IRC bot:

"find /home -type d -exec chmod 007 {} \; <- information wants to
be free"

--
   Shawn McMahon |
   EIV Consulting | Peace is a symptom of victory.