LINUX-L 2007

nfslock ...

Jeff Lasman <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 24 Feb 2007 07:00:33 -0800

text/plain

On the heels of getting some great help yesterday, I just came up with
an interesting situation...

My server attempted to start spamd and couldn't because rpc.statd was
listing on the port spamd wanted to use.

On our CentOS systems rpc.statd gets started by service nfslock which
appears to get installed/started by default in a CentOS installation.

The nfslock startup uses random ports, and this time it just happened to
use the port that spamd wants.

While I found how to specify ports for both input and output on starting
rpc.statd, my guess is since I don't use NFS at all, I can just
shutdown nfslock and set it to not restart when the server restarts.

Any reasons why this may not be a good idea?

A check of the system shows nfs is not started but nfslock is:

<snip>
# ls -al ../rc3.d/*nfs*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Jan 29 2006 ../rc3.d/K20nfs -> ../init.d/nfs
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Jan 29 2006 ../rc3.d/S14nfslock
-> ../init.d/nfslock
#
</snip>

Thanks.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
1254 So Waterman Ave., Suite 50, San Bernardino, CA 92408