LINUX-L 2007

Re: website monitoring

Jesse Rhoads <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Apr 2007 10:05:55 -0400

text/plain

I am surprised no one has recommended the original Big Brother from
http://www.bb4.org/download.html - it's a pretty easy to set up, so
don't overlook it.
The install is simple, you compile a monitoring daemon and a reporting
client, then the rest is just shell scripts that execute the client to
report back to the daemon.
If you can write a shell script that checks what you want to check, you
can monitor it with bb4.  It supports ping and http checking out of the box.
Unless I'm missing the boat here, If you're looking for a simple but
expandable/customizable monitoring system, this is it.
I have found that at least for me, Nagios is quite complex in comparison
as far as creating a configuration.  You can generally have a bb4
monitoring system set up in just a few minutes after RTFM.
It can email alerts, has a pretty sophisticated alert
scheduling/exclusion tool, has a summary/status website, and can run an
external script to perform notification in other manner such as dialing
a modem, etc.
The newer "professional edition" costs money but as far as I know the
older version 1.9 is still free for "non-commercial" use.

Disclaimer:  I don't work for BB4, but I have used it for many years.
Ginsu knives sold separately, YMMV, etc, etc.

Best Regards,
Jesse