LINUX-L 2007

Re: Grub errors :(

"ODEN,MARK THOMAS" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 8 Apr 2007 00:49:34 -0400

text/plain

Ed,

Thanks for your reply.  I do indeed have an extra IDE controller
and I'm sorry I did not include that in my original post.  I
should have, since I knew it was probably related but forgot to.
When I first installed the IDE controller, I thought I chose the
proper jumper setting to not force it to be the bootup device or
override bios settings, but apparantly that didn't work (this was
months ago.. somehow grub freaked out recently).  I'm out of town
right now, but when I get home I will take a look at the
devices.map file and fix it if it is wrong.  However, my first
assumption is that it will have an entry like what I put in my
first message:

(hd0) /dev/hda

If this is the case, I would want to change (hd0) to (hd3),
correct?  Then, I would want to fix all the other numberings, but
I'm not quite sure how hdb, hdc, etc. map to (hd1), (hd2).  How
can I do this?

As a side note, I'm also trying to setup grub to boot to Windows
using the rootnoverify command and the map commands if necessary
in grub.conf.  I know that Windows is on /dev/hdc but don't know
which (hd#) it maps to.  I've tried different combinations and
none will boot to windows, I've also tried

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)

and other permutations (only with hd0) but have had no luck
either.  Any hints there would be useful too. -- I will try the
find and cat commands from the grub menu when I get back, will
"find \windows\" work (or perhaps "find \boot.ini")?

Thanks for your help so far,

~Mark Oden