LINUX-L 2007

Re: Grub errors :(

Edward Allcutt <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 8 Apr 2007 13:58:02 -0400

On Sun, 2007-04-08 at 00:49 -0400, ODEN,MARK THOMAS wrote:
> If this is the case, I would want to change (hd0) to (hd3),
> correct? Then, I would want to fix all the other numberings, but
> I'm not quite sure how hdb, hdc, etc. map to (hd1), (hd2). How
> can I do this?
Unfortunately the best way is probably to use cat TAB and find with a
good knowledge of what's on each disk.

The good news is that you really only need to know the mappings of those
disks you want to boot off, so if some disks are just data or swap etc.
then you can ignore them.

> As a side note, I'm also trying to setup grub to boot to Windows
> using the rootnoverify command and the map commands if necessary
> in grub.conf. I know that Windows is on /dev/hdc but don't know
> which (hd#) it maps to. I've tried different combinations and
> none will boot to windows, I've also tried
>
> map (hd0) (hd1)
> map (hd1) (hd0)
>
> and other permutations (only with hd0) but have had no luck
> either. Any hints there would be useful too. -- I will try the
> find and cat commands from the grub menu when I get back, will
> "find \windows\" work (or perhaps "find \boot.ini")?
Unfortunately I don't think grub supports ntfs so unless you're using
FAT those commands won't help. If you can distinguish the disks based on
the number or partitions (of if there's only one disk grub can't read
filesystem data from) then you should be able to work it out.

Once you've figured out which number the windows disk is, the following
commands should work (substitute x for the disk number, y for the
partition).

map (hd0) (hdx)
map (hdx) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hdx,y)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

If the windows disk turns out to be hd0 then the map commands are
unnecessary. makeactive is necessary only if the windows partition isn't
marked as active, but it doesn't hurt.

> Thanks for your help so far,
Good luck :)

Ed.