LINUX-L 2007

Re: wireless puzzle

Avi Baumstein <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 May 2007 21:37:29 +0000

text/plain

On Sun, 2007-05-27 at 11:29 -0400, Ben Bolker wrote:

>   EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: machine can detect the card just fine,
> sees wireless networks at work, but completely fails to find
> the home wireless network.  Other machines find the home
> network, as does this machine when it's running Windows.

I had this problem a few years ago: on the same hardware with Windows
installed I could connect to my first-gen Linksys AP fine, but with
Linux installed (I tried several distros, thinking it must be some kind
of driver issue) it simply wouldn't connect, even though all else really
seemed fine (good signal strength, I could capture packets sourced from
the AP, etc).

Finally, after I was nearly bald, I updated my AP with newer Linksys
firmware, and suddenly I could connect. I have no explanation for how
that could have made a difference, but it has taught me not to rule out
the AP in such instances.

-avi