LINUX-L 2007

Re: Any one looking for side work?

Dan Trevino <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:23:24 -0400

text/plain

On 7/20/07, Bill Merriam <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I clearly don't know much about small business applications and Windows.
> I understand that with Quickbooks, Network edition, the client runs on
> the Windows client and the database server, Ingress, has to run on a
> Windows server so a Samba server won't be a usable substitute. Do other
> small business apps run executables on the server, in addition to the
> client? Can someone point me at an example of that so I can go look at it?
>
> Thanks.
> Bill

A lot of programs track licenses like this. I know in the past I've
set up the "server" part of some apps on a desktop machine, to get
around having to use a windows app/file server. Then set up a samba
server to serve home dirs and file/printer sharing.

For a small business where only 1 or 2 applications have this
limitation, it works. For larger installs, not so much.

dan