Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

LINUX-L Home

LINUX-L  2007

LINUX-L 2007

Re: Machine room air temperature sensor for Linux?

Dan Stoner <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:31:33 -0400

text/plain

We use an older model of this device (been running for 3 or 4 years, I
think):

http://www.sensatronics.com/products_temperature_model_e.html

Sensatronics (formerly TempTrax) also sell devices that monitor
humidity, etc.

It's embedded Linux and serves the temperature as a web page and XML
(not USB as you originally asked).

It is handy that when your alert goes off you can http right to the
device to see the real temperature. To automate monitoring, you'd just
need to parse the html or XML output. We actually use IPSentry
(Windows-only) software to monitor the device.

These devices allow multiple probes so we put one right at the AC vent
and one near the rack. We know immediately when the chiller stops
blowing air at 68 degrees and also know when the rack itself is getting
dangerously warm.

- Dan