]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LINUX-L Home

LINUX-L  2007

LINUX-L 2007

Re: Windows Internet Printing and Linux Workstation/CUPS

Dan Stoner <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:36:08 -0400

text/plain

Justin Fear wrote:

> Description of the Problem:
>
> I am trying to connect to my departments central print server from my
> Fedora 7 Laptop + CUPS.
>
> As far as I can tell the Server (I assume the latest version of windows
> server) is running the Windows Internet Printing Protocol.

Justin,

Perhaps the Windows printer has Access Control, and only certain people
are allowed to print.

I think you need to talk to the IT guy who manages the thing to find out
the service definition and confirm the required authentication required.

I've had much more luck getting Linux to print to Windows printers using
SMB than with IPP... but the biggest thing is to get the "share name"
for the Windows printer, which greatly simplifies your connection process.

  Dan Stoner
  Network Administrator
  Florida Museum of Natural History
  University of Florida