LINUX-L 2007

Re: Ubuntu 7.10

Ben Bolker <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Oct 2007 17:33:01 -0400

text/plain

  In defence of Brian's list:

  (a) for non-geeks it's very nice to have a script that just
does the stuff you want.  (And doesn't screw up your system like
Automatix).

  (b) R is a rapidly developing language (you get yelled at on
the help list if you are a few months out of date), and the gutsy
repository is probably a few versions behind. Makes sense for
someone setting up machines for the Statistics department
to include it. The "R core team"
who run cran.r-project.org are a pretty well established bunch of
computational statisticians -- you don't have
to trust them, but I do.