LINUX-L 2007

Re: Sorting Multiple Columns

"N.J. Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 3 Dec 2007 18:47:10 -0500

text/plain

* Dan Stoner <[log in to unmask]> [2007-12-03 15:32:21-0500]:
> > If you often need this data sorted, depending on where the data
> > comes from, you might consider using an SQL table to store it.
>
> That's a good idea... I remember doing that once and there is an
> "easy" mysql command to load the data from a flat file.

SQLite might work for this. OP will have to whip up a quick script to
parse the data and print out SQL commands so that SQLite can load it in,
but that is a line or two of sed or $SCRIPTING_LANG.

I've done stuff like this all time with SQLite, although I don't think
I've used a dataset as large as his. Would be interesting to hear the
results.

Thomas

--
N.J. Thomas