LINUX-L 2007

Re: My server uses swap :(

Arthur Sherman <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:31:49 +0200

text/plain

> The odd thing I see above is 2GB of free. That means one of
> three things.
>
> Either the system was recently rebooted and hasn't gotten
> around to using
> 2/3 of the available RAM.

But then swap file would be zeroed, right?

> Something did actually eat up a huge amount of RAM and
> recently freed it.

That is what stopped my attention in the first place - it had more than 2GB
RAM and was swapping!
I assumed that something just freed a huge ammount of RAM and during its
operation it sucked all the memory, causing swapping.

> The system is relatively idle and has way more RAM than it needs.

It was recently upgraded from 1GB, so I assume right now it has enough
memory.

> Over time, you should see nearly all your "free" RAM end up
> in buffers +
> cache.
>
> i.e.
>
> total used free shared
> buffers cached
> Mem: 4068148 4056360 11788 0
> 55484 2627704
> -/+ buffers/cache: 1373172 2694976
> Swap: 4184924 547152 3637772

Thank you, John!

Btw, in yor case I see >512MB swapping - ? Is this normal? Or, am I in the
wrong boat?

Best,

--
Arthur Sherman