LINUX-L 2007

Re: storing php sessions in memory

Arthur Sherman <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:15:58 +0200

text/plain

Hi Doug,

> >> based on the purpose of sessions and how they are used this
> >> wouldn't make much sense IMHO. what if the user returns in a week
> >> or doesn't return for a month? are you going to hold whatever it
> >> is you'd hold/save for the session in memory for a month?
> >>

> > After 24 min session is considered stale, by default.
> > Then, based on tricky algorythm which I am struggling to
> undestand, it calls
> > for Garbage Collector to clean up.
> > That's what PHP manual says about sessions. So, a guy after
> week(end) will
> > find its session expired. No problem here.
> >
> > I calculated a memory load, based on average session size
> of 16K and 5000
> > concurrent sessions = ~80MB of RAM spent.
> > How many disk I/O saved?..
> >
> You have 5000 people connected to your site at any given
> point? I should
> hope you have a decent round robin system setup between at
> least another
> server... but I digress.

No, sure I don't have that much connections to my server at any given time
:)
I just took it to extreme to calculate a worse case scenario or something
like this.

> If you are using mod_php, then apache will actually cache the session
> data in memory so you really won't be saving that much disk I/O. Since
> PHP 4.2.3, mtime is used for expiring sessions so if your session is
> constantly changing with a ping type msg in an AJAXy type
> script. You're

Oh! I didn't know this.
Can/should it be configured?

> wasting a lot more bandwidth and disk I/O because of your poor site
> design then a file system choice for /tmp.

Do you mean my actual site cpt.co.il? :)
What's wrong with it?
If you're serious, pls contact me off-list

Thanks!

Best,

--
Arthur Sherman