LINUX-L 2007

data cable troubleshooting

Eric Lavigne <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 31 Mar 2007 00:04:35 -0400

text/plain

I have taken an interest in cellphone programming, and I was looking
for a way to transfer my J2ME applications to my cellphone. The
attached thread is tech support for a data cable that I purchased on
eBay for $22.25 from a seller with a long history of excellent
customer feedback. After working with their tech support folks for a
few days, I find myself wondering whether anyone has ever used this
kit with my phone model (which was specifically included in the
product title), followed the enclosed instructions, and gotten this
cable to work.

I am interested in any advice regarding this problem, but I post this
thread primarily for your amusement. I particularly enjoyed their most
recent response. Yes, of course I will reformat my computer in hopes
that their kit will finally work :-P

Note: extensive quoting removed for easier reading.

/// Eric - Mar 26, evening, posted on BestCellDist website

    EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
    MODEL: Samsung SGH-t509
    COMNUM: 4
    COMNUMEDT: 4
    B1: Send
    Remote Name: 24.250.221.165
    Remote User:

    Message:

I purchased a USB data cable from your eBay store, and it arrived
today. The item's title in the store was: "USB Data Cable+Driver Kit
for Samsung SGH-T509 SGHT509!"

I followed the installation instructions carefully, but PC Studio 3
(which came with the kit) says "Phone not supported!".

I found the COM port for the phone by checking the device manager as
indicated in the instructions, but I could not find any similar
information for PC Studio 3. In the device manager, my phone is called
"SAMSUNG Mobile USB Modem".

What should I try next? Is there another piece of editing software,
besides PC Studio, that might work better?

Note: I do not know the COM port number for my editing software (PC
Studio 3) and do not know how to determine that information. I typed
in 4 because your website required an answer to that question.

/// Tech support - Mar 27, 1:28 PM

Hello,

Thank you for your very helpful details.

Let us check this with Samsung and we'll get back to you. We will try
to get back to you today, but it may be tomorrow since not all
employees came to work today.

--
Kind Regards,
BestCellDist Tech Support

/// Eric - Mar 28, 10:31 AM

I wonder if my kit should have had one more CD.

The instructions show separate steps for driver installation and
editing software installation. The only CD in my kit was Samsung PC
Studio 3.1 (which claims to include a USB driver). If there is a
separate driver that I should have received, is it also available for
download?

/// Tech support - Mar 28, 5:48 PM

Hello,

We do apologize for the delay. If the message is "Phone Not Supported"
it means it's been recognized, and not supported by Samsung choice.

What cellular carrier do you have? We may have a different type of
software for the T509. Also, does the T509 have a removable memory
card?

--
Kind Regards,
BestCellDist Tech Support
CAUTION: To get back to us, simply use the Reply feature in your email
program, and always include all previous messages in your replies so
that we will know the exact contest. Tip: Turn you cell phone off and
back on at least once a day, and do the same with your PC (hybernating
it's not enough--you must reboot it at least once a day).

/// Eric - Mar 28, 7:39 PM

My cellular carrier is T-Mobile.

My phone does not have a removable memory card. Is there such a card
that would work with my t509?

My phone has bluetooth, but my computer does not. Adding an external
bluetooth adapter to my computer could be another option if this data
cable doesn't work.

Note: There is a typo in your signature. Replace "contest" with "context".

/// Tech support - Mar 29, 3:58 PM

Hello,

Thank you for the correction! We appreciate it.

Perhaps Samsung chose not to support the USB data file transfer
feature, but you can still use our cable to connect to the Internet,
etc.

For data transfer, let's try BitPim. The instructions are attached,
and please let us know how it goes.

You can download the latest BitPim from http://bitpim.org/#download
(click on Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
<http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/bitpim/bitpim-0.9.13-setup.exe?download>
of course)

--
Kind Regards,
BestCellDist Tech Support
CAUTION: To get back to us, simply use the Reply feature in your email
program, and always include all previous messages in your replies so
that we will know the exact context. Tip: Turn you cell phone off and
back on at least once a day, and do the same with your PC (hybernating
it's not enough--you must reboot it at least once a day).

/// Eric - Mar 30, 8:32 AM

I ran into a problem on step three of the document that you sent. When
trying to browse for an appropriate com port, I found that the phone
was listed but marked as unavailable. "It was not possible to open
this port."

/// Tech support - Mar 30, 6:12 PM

Hello,

The "port unavailable" message has nothing to do with the data
transferring software. It's possibly due to a Windows bug (that we
also often experience), but most likely is due to another process
scanning the ports, therefore making them "unavailable". It is just an
an annoyance that will go away by changing computer or reformatting
and re-installing Windows (after backing up everything of course).