LINUX-L 2007

Re: Kernel Patch question

Charles Tompkins <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 30 Apr 2007 08:41:07 -0400

text/plain

http://wiki.centos.org/I_need_the_Kernel_Source

Hopefully this helps...
-Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: Platform Independent Linux List! [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Mark Oden
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2007 2:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Kernel Patch question

Is there an rpm for that (kernel-source? -- yum didn't pull up anything
if I recall) or do I get the bz2 file from kernel.org?

~Mark

Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Mark Oden wrote:
>
>> Well, that question was inherently answered; no I don't have the
>> complete source. For the first architecture (with CentOS installed)
>> I used a kernel-devel rpm, should I have used another?
>
> Kernel-devel is going to be header files needed for building modules.
> You need the actual kernel source if you want to patch a kernel module
> or apply a patch to the kernel that adds a new module.

> Jon Lewis | I route
> Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
> Atlantic Net |

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: This email including any attachments, contains
confidential information belonging to the sender. It may also be
privileged or otherwise protected by work product immunity or other
legal rules. This information is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents
of this emailed information is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this email in error, please immediately notify us by
reply email of the error and then delete this email immediately.