LINUX-L 2007

Scanjet 4c died :(

Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 22 May 2007 19:04:16 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

My antique HP Scanjet 4c appears to have died sometime between today and
whenever I last turned it on :(

I looked up that I bought it (and 2 others) from Onsale for $111 (plus
some hefty shipping) each as refurbished units with 1 year warranty...back
in 1998. I have no memory of who the other 2 were for.

Anyone have recommendations for a new scanner that plays nice with Linux?
I gather long ago most of these things went from SCSI to USB, so I'll
probably want to get a USB2 card, since my PC is USB1.x.

I just did some quick looking, and it seems the Epson V100 can be had for
lunch money (it starts out cheap, and there's a fat rebate) and though
there's a binary only driver, it is said to work, even with things as old
as Red Hat 9, or as modern as Ubuntu.

Anyone interested in taking/trying to repair an old SCSI scanner? The
power LED lights up, but it doesn't make any of the other sounds I think I
remember it making at power-up. If not, it goes to the tech section of
the county dump.

  Jon Lewis | I route
  Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
  Atlantic Net |