Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

LINUX-L Home

LINUX-L  2007

LINUX-L 2007

Re: scp and sftp... rssh, scponly, or "other"

Shawn McMahon <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:14:13 -0400

text/plain

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 15:06 -0400, Dan Stoner wrote:
> I want to allow users to upload files using sftp and scp in a web
> hosting environment.
>
> I don't want to give full shell access.

You replace their shell with a script that checks to make sure the
command they're running is either scp or sftp, and exits otherwise.

The guts of ours:

[[ $# -gt 0 ]] && shift
set -- $1
case "$1" in
  scp) exec ${OPENSSH}/$* ;;
  ${OPENSSH}/sftp-server) exec $* ;;
esac

Others are addressing whether or not ssh is the right tool; assuming it
is, that's what we do.