LINUX-L 2007

Re: Singapore Airlines puts a Linux PC in every seat

Daniel Westermann-Clark <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Aug 2007 13:47:56 -0400

On 2007-08-23 13:24:26 -0400, Bill Merriam wrote:
> They are putting a Redhat server with terabytes of storage on each
> plane and a Linux PC with 40GB of storage in every seat.
>
> Naturally US airlines will never do anything like this.

Last time I flew on a Song plane (Delta's low-cost brand), they had a
Linux PC in the back of every seat.

Unfortunately only one side of the plane had working PCs, while the
others were rebooting every few minutes while the flight crew tried to
"fix" them... I overheard one woman commenting that the Tux logo was
cute.

The feature I liked best was the GPS system that displayed the flight
path and current location of the plane, but there were games and
supposedly TV via satellite.

http://www.engadget.com/2004/09/09/song-airlines-linux-based-distributed-media-system/

--
Daniel Westermann-Clark