LINUX-L 2007

Re: Switching partitions...

Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Nov 2007 21:07:08 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, Jeff Lasman wrote:

> I've got this partition setup on a CentOS 4 install:
>
> <snip>
> $ df -h
> /dev/md0 981M 146M 785M 16% /
> none 502M 0 502M 0% /dev/shm
> /dev/md3 2.0G 188M 1.7G 10% /home
> /dev/md2 2.0G 36M 1.9G 2% /tmp
> /dev/md1 9.9G 716M 8.7G 8% /usr
> /dev/md5 42G 532M 40G 2% /var
> [jlasman@ustxd02 ~]$
> </snip>
>
> But I'd like a foolproof way to swap the /home and the /var partitions.
> Should I risk this?

Why? 2gb is kind of small for /var. If you need more /home space, you
could just create /var/home and use symlinks to either make /home point
into /var/home, or point individual /home/ subdirs into /var/home/.

If you really want to do this, ssh in, cd /, be root, kill everything that
uses /home or /var (fuser may be helpful if they're not obvious), mkdir
/usr/var, mkdir /usr/home, cp -ar /home/* /usr/home/, cp -ar /var/*
/usr/var/, rm -rf /home/*, rm -rf /var/*, cp -ar /usr/home/* /var/, cp -ar
/usr/var/* /home, umount /home, umount /var, edit fstab, mount /home,
mount /var. You should probably remove and re-mklost+found in each of the
swapped partitions when you're done.

I make no guarantees about this being foolproof (given the right fool,
nothing is), but I've done this sort of thing before. It's really not
complicated...just a bunch of simple steps.

> (I can easily afford downtime of up to a day, but of course the shorter
> the better; it's one of our slave nameservers.)

A day? Hell, with the amount of data on that box, you could swap out the
drives for new ones, boot from a live CD, and restore from backups during
lunch.

  Jon Lewis | I route
  Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
  Atlantic Net |