LINUX-L 2007

Re: Call centers are now using Asterisk

Bill Merriam <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:57:27 -0500

text/plain

Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Bill Merriam wrote:

> Care to share the dial-plan logic you use to do this?

[macro-callemback]
exten => s,1,noop
exten => s,n,Answer
exten =>
s,n,Set(CALLFILENAME=${STRFTIME(${EPOCH},,%Y%m%d-%H%M%S)}-${CALLERID(num)}.wav)
exten => s,n,MixMonitor(${CALLFILENAME})
exten => s,n,Wait(5)
exten => s,n,SendDTMF(1)
exten => s,n,Dial(${VOICEPULSE1}/1${ARG1},60,D(w${ARG2}))

Then in the inbound context I put these entries:
exten => _13522480078/8666740156,1,Macro(callemback,8666740156)
exten => _13522480078/8009992443,1,Macro(callemback,8666740156)

The local number is one of my inbound numbers.

Note that there are legal problems with recording phone calls. When I
actually take a call I inform callers that they are being recorded.
This causes callers with good lawyers to hang up. Less well briefed
callers continue the call and lie on record. Citigroup has been fined
millions of dollars for lying to customers. They will no longer allow
their employees to be recorded.

In many cases the inbound call center announces that they are recording
the call. It isn't clear that gives me permission to record the call at
my end. And how about if I tell the automated dialer software at their
end that I am recording the call but the human agent isn't on the line
yet to hear it.

Telephone privacy laws were written before computers made phone calls.
They were designed to protect people's privacy. Somehow it just doesn't
make sense when you try to protect the privacy of a computer making
phone calls. In my personal view call center agents are not human but
rather are I/O devices. Certainly they are being replaced with better
voice synthesis and voice recognition software.

Since they are using computers to waste our time and annoy us we should
use computers to waste their time and annoy them.

Bill