LINUX-L 2007

Re: OLPC...

Brian Bartholomew <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Dec 2007 00:53:09 -0500

text/plain

> I expect that the set of apps promoted by the OLPC organization
> itself will be focused on their ideological goals

Hmm, I wonder what their ideological goals are?

   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/HIG

At its core, our journal concept embodies the idea that the
filesystem records a history of the things a child has done,
or, more specifically, the activities a child has participated
in. Its function as the store of the objects created while
performing those activities is secondary, although also
important. The Journal naturally lends itself to a
chronological organization (although it can be tagged,
searched, and sorted by a variety of means). As a record of
things a child has done -- not just the things a child has
saved -- the Journal will read much like a portfolio or
scrapbook history of the child's interactions with the machine
and also with peers. The Journal combines entries explicitly
created by the children with those which are implicitly
created through participation in activities; developers must
think carefully about how an activity integrates with the
Journal more so than with a traditional filesystem that
functions independently of an application. The activities, the
objects, and the means of recording all tightly integrate to
create a different kind of computer experience.

   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Journal

Description & Goals
For the general public

The Journal activity is an automated diary of everything a
child does with his or her laptop. The Journal can be used by
children to organize work or revisit a past project, and by
teachers and parents to assess a child's progress.

   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bitfrost

No permanent data loss

Information on the laptop will be replicated to some
centralized storage place so that the student can recover it
in the event that the laptop is lost, stolen or destroyed.

It's a mental tracking device. . . And you thought Vista was bad.

Brian