LINUX-L 2007

desktop-architects and Linus the Nazi

John Li <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:11:17 -0500

Mark (mark007 in #gatorlug) recently pointed me at this story on
linux.com: "Linus fires latest shot in GNOME Wars".[1]

While I tend to agree that Gnome is constraining[2], KDE's
configurability seems to trigger ADD for me. The best part of the story
is Linus being called a Nazi in Spanish, though.
"¿Quién es el NAZI?"[3]

Lollerskates!

[1] http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/02/16/1937237
[2] So on my laptop, there are three mixers I care about. Let's say
"PCM1" controls external speakers, "PCM2" controls the headphone jack,
and "Volume" affects both. Gnome's keybinding dialog can bind the
"extra" keys I have to raise/lower volume, but it does so by changing
the "PCM1" mixer. So if I happen to be using headphones, the hardware
keys don't actually work. A cursory Googling shows that what mixer Gnome
uses isn't configurable.
[3] http://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/desktop_architects/2007-February/001119.html

-nile

--