]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LINUX-L Home

LINUX-L  2007

LINUX-L 2007

Re: Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/Scalar/Util.pm line 30

Shawn McMahon <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Mar 2007 18:09:28 -0500

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 01:04:41PM +0200, Arthur Sherman said:

> I wish I knew how to revert to previous module in CPAN.
> Tried once figure it out and couldn't find anything useful.

This doesn't help you, but for the peanut gallery:

This is why you shouldn't bypass your packaging system.  Before updating
anything, a better idea is:

1) Use "rpm -qf" to find out what package owns the file.
2) Download source for that package.
3) Download source for what you want to add.
4) Create a new package containing your additions.
5) Configure the package manager not to automatically upgrade this
package anymore.
6) Expect to spend eternity manually integrating upgrades into your
system in this manner every time a new version of the base package comes
out.

For the special case of perl, here's what we do:

1) Leave the "system" perl alone.  We don't add ANY module to it that
doesn't have an RPM from RedHat, period, and even those rarely.
2) Create our own perl and perl-modules packages that install in
"/opt/perl", and integrate all requested modules into it, updating these
only as required to serve our development teams.  It contains a whole
lot of modules, and any time we add a new module we do so by updating
the perl-modules package.

As for fixing your problem; you might need to uninstall the perl RPM(s),
wipe the directory contents, and reinstall.  Be sure to download the
necessary RPMs first.  If you MUST have that module, at least try to
find an RPM for it instead of using the cpan updater.  That's a nice
tool, but it's not suitable for every user's situation, and I'm not
talking "I'm a power user and you're not, nyah nyah" stuff here; I'm
really talking "package manager or not".

--
   Shawn McMahon    |
   EIV Consulting   | Peace is a symptom of victory.