]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LINUX-L Home

LINUX-L  2007

LINUX-L 2007

Re: Your recommendation please: a big volume mail solution

Arthur Sherman <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Nov 2007 23:55:35 +0200

text/plain

> > The only thing that stops me from saying no, besides the
> mentioned, is
> > that if he wants such a setup, he will eventually get it,
> from other
> > sysadmins. And it probably will be even more spammy and bad.
>
> I'm sure, Arthur, that you've seen my reply on one of the
> other lists you've posted this on.
>
> In that thread I pointed out that you've admitted you're a
> spammer (if you design a system for him, then in the mind of
> most anti-spammers you ARE him) and in this thread I notice
> you admit you're a spammer several times (go back and read
> all your posts).
>
> But let's presume for a moment that you're not; that you're
> simply a nice guy wanting to build him a solution.
>
> Let's look at this analogy:
>
> You meet a guy in a bar who's soliciting to murder his wife.
> He's met someone who wants to literally do a hatchet job.
> Now he approaches you, to see if you have a neater solution.
>
> Surely you don't agree that you ought to kill the woman with
> a single bullet, because it's less messy and bad?
>
> Or do you?
>
> And when you're called a murderer, is your excuse that he
> would have had her killed anyway; at least you were willing
> to do it in a less painful way?
>
> He's a spammer.  If you lie in his bed, then you begin to
> smell like him very quickly.
>
> Look for a moment at a small part of Jon Lewis's siglines:
>
> <quote>
> I route
> therefore you are
> </quote>
>
> If systems administrators cease to route him into their
> system, then he ceases to exist.  This will happen incredibly
> quickly.  He may want to do it "nicely" and "according to
> some rules" (I'm not an Israeli attorney; I have no idea if
> he's doing anything legal or not, and frankly, I don't care),
> but ironically, that makes it even easier for systems
> administrators to get his IP#s shut down.  Better for his
> spam-loving customers that they go with spambot vendors.
> They'll at least get their dreck delivered to some portion of
> the addresses they're paying to mail to.
>
> Jeff

The point understood and taken.

I must say I was tempted for a while to go with him, though I wasn't sure he
is not a spammer, neither I am now.
Nevertheless, it smells badly, I admit.

What I really wanted from all the thread was to learn mail systems better,
even including the darker side.
Just like when you build a brand new server, you test its weak points from
outside.

Right now I now:

1) spam is bad;
2) spammers are bad either;
3) if I go with the bad guys, I am doomed forever... (which is good since
the good still prevails over the bad :);
4) I learned that for LEGIT mail system, the load of 1 million/day is not a
biggie really.

I would like to learn the deeper technical aspects of it, but will do it not
right now, maybe on the next flame session. :)

Now, guys, really thank you, for both the ethical and technical opinions.
Probably, many here learned the lesson.

Arthur