LINUX-L 2007

how do I unsubscribe from this list?

jmoore <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:11:04 -0400

text/plain

Justin no longer works here so all of his incoming email on this account
forwards to my account :)

-Thanks
David

-----Original Message-----
From: Platform Independent Linux List! [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Shelby Powell
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 11:02 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: On-Campus Internet Access

Excellent news! After much persistence and a little help, I
managed to get it to work. I've attached my work.

This is how I setup my Ubuntu 7.04 with GNOME for IEEE802.1X
Authentification & Protected EAP on a DHCP network here, on
campus, at the University of Florida.

First, disable your eth0 in your network manager.

Find out if you have wpa_supplicant installed (by default it is
since 6.10).
$ wpa_supplicant -v

Next, edit the following files as I have and be sure to change the
username and password to your own.

$ sudo gedit /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
# The below line not be changed otherwise we refuse to work
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

# Ensure that only root can read the WPA configuration
ctrl_interface_group=root

# Let wpa_supplicant take care of scanning and AP selection
ap_scan=0

network={
  key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
  eap=PEAP
  pairwise=CCMP TKIP
  identity="YOUR_USERNAME"
  password="YOUR_PASSWORD"
  phase2="auth=mschap2"
  priority=2
}

.... and then ....
$ gksudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
wpa-driver wired
wpa-eap PEAP
wpa-key-mgmt IEEE8021X
wpa-identity YOUR_USERNAME
wpa-password YOUR_PASSWORD
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

#auto eth1
#iface eth1 inet dhcp

#auto eth2
#iface eth2 inet dhcp

#auto ath0
#iface ath0 inet dhcp

#auto wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet dhcp

Finally, restart your computer.

Thanks to all those who helped and offered their assistance. I
couldn't have done it without you. =-)