LINUX-L 2007

Re: peer-to-peer VOIP?

Martin Smith <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:47:05 -0400

text/plain

Brian and list,

Many phones support "IP direct dialing" (Linksys Sipura devices, I
think, are one example). I would expect you would find this feature most
commonly in phones that speak SIP.

SIP is an application-layer routing and negotiating protocol, and does
not participate in the RTP stream at all. Some PBX makers may get in the
middle of the stream, but that is a side effect of using SIP to route
the stream through the PBX, as I understand it.

*Most importantly, losing the central SIP routing doesn't typically
break a call in progress.* Obviously, if you lose TCP/IP routing, your
RTP packets aren't going anywhere either, but at least TCP/IP routing
doesn't have to be a single point of failure (neither does SIP actually,
so in a good deployment you aren't slave to a SPOF).

There are some other ways to map telephone "numbers" to IP addresses,
such as ENUM and DUNDi, of which DUNDi is peer-to-peer. You'll find
entries for both in Wikipedia.

I have no idea if the UF-recommended phones can do this, though a quick
search in Google suggests that they might be able to.

Martin Smith, Systems Developer
Bureau of Economic and Business Research
University of Florida
(352) 392-0171 Ext. 221