LINUX-L 2007

Re: Jordan on /.

Matt <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Feb 2007 23:22:34 -0500

text/plain

Its too bad I am not in Gainesville anymore.  It seems like there are some
good activities going on.  Anyway, since we have such renowned security
expert(s) ;-) on the list I would like to pose a question.  There has been
much talk of lower level rootkits like the Blue Pill that subvert the kernel
using virtualization and ones that hide in the motherboard BIOS or
peripheral BIOS.  How can one be sure that nothing sneaks in the boot phase
before control is handed to the OS?  I have read about secure booting that
uses a mostly encrypted, custom BIOS to compare hashes of the peripheral
firmware and HDD boot sectors (e.g.,
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~waa/pubs/oakland97.pdf).  I am thinking a TPM would
also be a viable solution?