LINUX-L 2007

Re: protecting /tmp

Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 1 Jan 2007 15:12:39 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007, Jeff Lasman wrote:

> On a forum I read someone has suggested chmodding everything in /tmp as
> 0000 to protect from hackers.

Unplugging from the network or power will protect your server from hackers
too.

> In my understanding, then no one (not even the owner) can read the
> files.

Right...so anything that relies on /tmp for temporary storage will break
if you either chmod 000 /tmp or frequently do that to all files/dirs in
/tmp/.

> Can this possibly work without breaking a lot of services and programs
> that use /tmp?

Yeah.  Make sure all your applications are setup to use their own separate
temp spaces rather than /tmp/.  It may not be practical, but its probably
possible.

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |