LINUX-L 2007

Re: website monitoring

Eric Lavigne <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 Apr 2007 17:17:06 -0400

text/plain

What you describe sounds like something that could be created from
scratch very easily (less than an hour's work for someone who knows
which libraries to use). When creating from scratch is easy enough,
the advantage of doing so is that you get exactly what you want,
rather than what someone in a similar situation wanted.

I am imagining a little Python script:

1) Query the website once per five minutes, asking for some page of
interest. Check whether the full page is delivered (or whether there
is some error).

2) If one of these requests fails, switch to a higher alert level, in
which the program is now checking once per minute. If a full page is
delivered correctly, go back to step 1. If problem persists for five
minutes, go forward to step 3.

3) Send an SMS message to your cellphone.

So you just need two libraries: one for requesting HTML pages
(probably part of the Python standard libraries) and one for sending
SMS messages (not sure about this one, but see the link below for some
hints).